Tuesday, April 27, 2010

16 weeks

Right now, he or she is about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces (still small enough to fit in the palm of your hand). His/her legs are much more developed, head is more erect than it has been, and eyes have moved closer to the front of the head. His/her ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his/her locks aren't recognizable yet. He/she has even started growing toenails. His/her transparent skin is tinged pink as it adds layers, and he/she can kick its tiny feet and make grasping motions with his/her hands. His/her eyes are becoming increasingly sensitive to light. By now, all of your baby's muscles and bones are in place, and his nervous system is starting to exert control. Your baby is attached to the placenta by his lifeline, the umbilical cord, and that's growing thicker and stronger as his needs increase. Blood is constantly pulsing through the cord, bringing nutrients to your baby and helping to remove toxins from the amniotic fluid, which fills his trachea each time he opens his mouth. The placenta has grown too, in order to accommodate the thousands of blood vessels that are working hard to exchange nutrients and oxygen between your body and your baby's. Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Watch what you say... tiny bones forming in baby's ears mean the little one can now pick up your voice.
My changes...the belly is def here. BJ was in awe last night and asked me if I was poking my belly out...ugh no hun I believe it's here. Then he said "I mean it looks totally different than yesterday" too funny. I've gotten some energy back..woo hoo just in time for my bff Carrie Underwood (I'm going to see her Saturday night). I'm still patiently awaiting the "flutter". I thought I felt it last week but not sure. Of course BJ said it was prob just gas..thanks hun. Today when I read the weekly update I actually got a little emotional (what's new these days). It seems more and more "real" everyday. The part that got me was that the baby can potentially hear MY voice...that is so scary. I def need to watch my road rage, my temper and my language. I've really been trying to work on it for months but that just hit me today. Maybe I'll have another picture sometime this week :) OH and less than 6 days until we find out if baby E is a boy or girl...but who's counting..HA

No comments:

Post a Comment