Tuesday, April 20, 2010

15 wks and BIG news!!!

Okay, disregard ME in the picture, it was a long day. It's kind of hard to tell but the bump is def there!
Baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). He/She's busy moving amniotic fluid through his/her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in the lungs begin to develop. His/Her legs are growing longer than his/her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, he/she can sense light. The book says that if you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, he/she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but he/she is forming taste buds. Also, the book says if you could see your baby right now, you'd laugh as he/she tests out her developing muscles by making lots of funny faces -- squinting, frowning, even smiling in the womb. You'd be astonished by his/her paper-thin skin, through which a network of fine blood vessels runs like a series of miniature roads. His/Her ears are nearly in position, and he/she can turn her head. He/She can make fists and point her toes too, though most of the time these movements are reflexive. His/Her hair has started to grow, and it may have a little color as the pigment cells of his/her hair follicles kick in.
The doctor said that this month I would probably see a jump in weight gain. My "bump" is definitely there now. I can only wear a couple pairs of pants of my pre-pregnancy clothes. Last week I was extremely irritable, not sure why. I'm waiting patiently for the "flutter". I thought I felt it the other night but after reading what it would feel like I don't think that was it. At my next visit they are going to take my blood and test it to see if there is anything wrong with the baby.
Drum Roll Please.......
We had been told that our next sonogram would not be until 22 weeks. We (I) of course was trying to see if there could be any strings pulled to try and find out the sex earlier. Well after sweet talking the head nurse she has pulled some strings and I will be having a sonogram at my next appt on May 3!!!! We are so excited but of course BJ (who says I'm negative) says that the baby probably won't cooperate. I'm going to tell the baby everyday for the next two weeks that if he/she cooperates Duke (my dad) will buy him/her a pony!! HAHA Wish us luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment